The importance of sun cream
Scientific research suggests that up to 90% of skin lesions associated with early aging and wrinkles are caused by the sun( 1).During sunburn, aggressive ultraviolet rays penetrate deep layers of the epidermis, disrupting the normal functioning of the cells.
It is important to use sunscreen for your face on any sunny day and even in the city, and not just when you go to the beach. However, what parameters should be taken into consideration when choosing a good sun cream and what is the best protection level for SPF?
What is SPF?
SPF( Sun Protection Factor , English: sunscreen factor) is the degree of sun protection or the proportion of solar radiation reaching the skin. Labeling SPF10 means that when applying the cream, only 1/10( or 10%) of the ultraviolet rays will have its effect, SPF50 - 1/50 of the rays( or 2%).
In fact, 10 minutes of exposure to the sun without sunscreen is equivalent to 300 minutes of sunburn with properly applied lotion SPF30.However, the mechanics of applying sunscreen and its regular updating are extremely important, significantly affecting the final degree of protection.
How to choose the degree of sun protection?
In most cases, for everyday use in the city, sunscreen for face with protection SPF15, for the beach - cream with SPF30 and above. However, for extremely light skin and in the early days of sunburn, it is recommended to use a cream with an increased protective factor - up to SPF50.
However, it needs to be understood that a higher SPF protective factor does not always mean stronger protection from the sun. No matter how high SPF is, to maintain proper effectiveness, sun cream should be applied again every two hours. The thickness of the applied layer also plays a role.
How to apply sunblock?
So that the sun cream really protects the skin from ultraviolet rays, it should be densely applied to the face - about 2 mg per square cm of skin. The amount of sunscreen the size of a 5-ruble coin is enough to cover the face, and the whole body will take about 30 g.
Sunscreen should be updated after skin contact with water, a towel or profuse sweating. In addition, it is important to apply sunscreen not only to the skin of the face and body, but also to the ears, and also use a special lipstick to protect the lips and sunglasses.
Cream from the sun - good or bad?
Cheap sunscreens usually contain petroleum jelly and mineral oils. When applying such funds on the face appears the effect of fatty shine and physically clogged pores, provoking acne. This is especially critical when using sunscreen for everyday protection.
Study the composition of the cream and avoid the following ingredients: isoparaffin, hexylene glycol, lanolin alcohol, hydrogenated vegetable oil, decyloleate. Try before buying to check the sunscreen on the back of the palm - choose one that absorbs completely.
Best sunscreen: the rules for choosing
When choosing a sunscreen for your face, it is better to stay on 2-in-1 combination products containing both SPF protective factor and moisturizing ingredients. In this case, remember that the presence of sun cream on the skin does not prevent sunburn, but only blocks the most harmful sun rays.
- Before buying, study the composition and test the cream .Cheap sunscreen products contain petroleum jelly, mineral oils and other comedogenic components. This cream from sunburn is not absorbed to the end, a sticky sensation remains and makes the skin greasy, leading to the formation of acne.
- Choose the dual protection .A good sunscreen should protect both from UVB rays that cause reddening and burns of the skin, and from UVA rays damaging DNA and affecting aging. According to European standards, this should be stated directly on the package of cream from the sun.
- Choose the optimum sun protection factor .For everyday urban use, enough sunscreen with SPF15, for sunburn on the yarn recommended cream with SPF30.For light, sensitive to burns and unflavored skin, it is preferable to use SPF50.
- Apply the cream correctly and regularly update it .Sunscreen is guaranteed to "work" only the first two hours, after which it is recommended to apply again. It is important to take into account the fact that when exposed to water and a towel, a part of the cream is wiped off the skin, leaving it unprotected in front of the sun.
- After tanning, use the .The nature of sunscreen means that they physically reflect the sun's rays due to the presence of zinc oxide, titanium and other metals in the composition. After sunbathing, you need to wash your face and carefully remove the remnants of these funds from your skin with a scrub.
The use of sunscreen for the face every day is an important step in protecting the skin from aging. Choosing a good cream, it is important to avoid funds with the presence of mineral oils and petroleum jelly - this provokes the appearance of fatty shine and leads to the appearance of acne.
- Skin cancer facts and statistics, source