Omega-3 or fish oil?
Omega-3 is one of the substances important for the optimal metabolism of a person, but not capable of being produced by the body. To maintain health, you must eat foods containing Omega-3 fatty acids - primarily, sea fish and oils of certain plants.
Fish oil is the most preferred form of omega-3 intake, as it is 5-10 times better absorbed than fatty acids from flaxseed oil, chia seeds and others( 1).To cover the daily norm of Omega-3, you can take both fish oil in capsules, and just regularly eat fish.
Benefits of fish oil for health
Fish oil and the omega-3 fatty acids contained in it fight the inflammatory processes in the body, accelerating the recovery and renewal of tissues( including the skin and muscles).They also reduce the level of the stress hormone cortisol and reduce the viscosity of the blood, normalizing blood pressure.
In the absence or chronic shortage of Omega-3 in the diet, the risk of inflammation increases, metabolic processes of the body are disrupted, immunity decreases. In sum, this translates into an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease and an increase in the level of bad cholesterol( 2).
How to take Omega-3?
It is important to note that the lack of Omega-3 is an indication that the ration is built incorrectly. Accepting fish oil in capsules is not able to outweigh the harm caused by improper nutrition, consisting primarily of fast carbohydrates and poor in vegetables and natural fish.
- Eat more fish .About 30-50% of fats of salmon, salmon and other marine fish belong to polyunsaturated fatty acids Omega-3 - the fattier the fish, the more useful substance in it. To cover the need for Omega-3, it is sufficient to eat 100-150 g of sea fish 2-3 times a week.
- Eat vegetable Omega-3 .The leaders in the content of vegetable Omega-3 are the seeds of chia and kiwi seeds - 60-65% of their composition accounts for these essential fatty acids. Flaxseed oil consists of Omega-3 about 55%, hemp - 20%, walnut oil and rapeseed oil - 10%.
- Take Omega-3 consistently .To combat the inflammatory processes of Omega-3 fatty acids are necessary constantly. It is not enough to "drink" their course every few months, because they can not accumulate in the body. The best solution will be the normalization of the diet and periodic intake of fish oil in capsules.
- Fish oil in capsules is not a medicine. The use of fish oil for metabolism manifests itself only when you cover the existing deficit in the body. Regular intake of higher doses of omega-3 not only does not have a positive effect, but it can also be dangerous.
- Do not pursue a low price. Cheap fish oil may contain extremely little active ingredients. It is likely that to cover the daily requirement for Omega-3, you have to consume 3-5 capsules - in the end, it will be more expensive. Trust fish oil in capsules only from well-known brands.
Daily norm of Omega-3 and fish oil
For adults, the minimum daily intake norm of Omega-3 is 0.25 g( 250 mg).The optimal dose for health is 1 g( 1000 mg).The maximum safe figure depends on the sources of Omega-3 - no more than 7-8 g per day of fish oil in capsules( 3) and unlimitedly in the form of ordinary food.
The content of Omega-3 fatty acids in 100 g of marine fish is usually within 1-2 g, and the liver of cold water fish contains even higher doses. In this salmon and salmon, grown on special fish farms, usually have more Omega-3 in the composition than fish living in the ocean.
The best fish oil in capsules
When choosing the best fish oil in capsules, pay attention to the content of EPA and DHA fatty acids in the composition, as well as the recommended dosage. Remember that the daily intake is about 1 g of Omega-3 per day in the form of these EPA and DHA themselves.
In an effort to make the product cheaper, manufacturers often reduce the amount of active ingredients. Despite the fact that the package of fish oil will mention that to cover the daily allowance you will need to take several capsules at once, the buyer will not pay any attention to this.
Omega-3 is similar to vitamins - they are important for proper metabolism, but not produced in the body and must come with food. In this case, the lack of Omega-3 is one of the indicators of an improper diet. Accepting fish oil in capsules only partially solves the problem and is not able to improve the diet.
- Efficiency of conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to long chain n-3 fatty acids in man, source
- com: a compendium on supplements, nutrition, fitness, and health - Fish Oil, source
- Kris-Etherton PM,Harris WS, Appel LJ;AHA Nutrition Committee. American Heart Association. Omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: new recommendations from the American Heart Association.(2003)